Monday, October 22, 2012

Anti Procrastination Tuesday Homemade Shampoo

I am linking today’s post with New Nostalgia for Anti-Procrastination Tuesday.

7393129504_TCNCj

I have so many things I need to be doing right now but instead, I am typing this blog post.  I cannot procrastinate keeping my blog updated, especially on Anti-Procrastination Tuesday.

Sulfate Free Shampoo

The other item on my to-do list I am working on right now is making a batch of no-soap shampoo.  Wow, I had no idea how easy hair care could be.  I also never realized how cheap it could be.

234539093065634490_Buj0d1Oo_c

Living on a Dime blog shares the ins and outs of how and why to use something as simple as baking soda to keep hair clean and healthy.  Apple cider vinegar is a natural hair conditioner.

living on a dime

A simple word search for homemade shampoo recipes revealed many interesting recipes.  Some were just versions of soapy shampoos.  Others were very food oriented.

green shampoothie

I love how Allison at Loving It Raw shares how her husband loves this recipe for a hair smoothie.  She talks on her post about what works and why.  This was a great read.  She also shares a link for an ebook with more natural hair and skincare recipes.  I will have to look into this another time. She has several posts about moving away from OTC shampoo.  She also writes about hair detox, which is something that concerned me about this process.

P1010349

I’m ok to deal with detox because I understand what is happening and how to combat it throughout the process, without going back to chemical shampoos and conditioners.  Mostly, I have been seeking a non-sulfate way to take care of my red hair.  Red hair fades easily and I have a lot of gray hair, which creates very frizzy, unmanageable hair.

I have purchased expensive brands that claim to be sulfate-free, only to discover the sulfates were in different forms.  This simple, two ingredient way of washing my hair should keep my hair from fading and dulling.  I have read one comment that says baking soda can strip color but numerous blogs about why baking soda is safer and less likely to strip color.

Because this is so cheap and easy, I’m all in.  I’ll update my progress in a few weeks.  Stay tuned!

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Happy Blogging.

Beth

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Sereina and Tiana have been using the baking soda and vinegar on their hair. They recently added the baking soda, though, and have been using the vinegar for awhile and love it. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you!

Unknown said...

I used baking soda and vinegar to wash my hair for over a year. Afterwards, for about 6 months my hair came out in huge amounts each day. My pony tail is at least half as full as it used to be. I haven't done a lot of research, but a hair dresser told me that the vinegar would strip your hair of essential things. I recently read a post that just used b.s. so I am going to try that. I really loved only having to wash my hair every 4 days. About the color, mine has changed, but not in a bad way.

Unknown said...

I have found a great site about that offers a good anti procrastination guide and a kit of for everyone to use. Check out this website about Anti Procrastination.